The Intern “10 Pounds”
September 8, 2014
Have you ever heard about the intern 10 pounds? Well, most staff at PKM has. We refer to it as the weight you gain when you start your internship or first couple weeks at work. At PKM we are known to have a good time and we also like to eat well. We have snack baskets throughout the office that are filled with all kinds of goodies, we like to treat our new staff well and are known to take them out to eat all the time, we celebrate birthdays with cake and if you are joining the systems or audit group you can expect to be eating out twice a day while traveling the road. Now, why do I keep going on about this? If you are like me and want to keep the weight off, here are a couple of things that you can do to avoid putting the “intern 10 pounds” on in the first place.
1) Don’t start bad habits you never had. I don’t usually drink soda, but when I started at PKM, I suddenly found myself drinking a bunch of Coke from our soda fountains. I cut that out real quick and lost some of those empty calories.
2) Indulge, but only every once in a while. I love cake, so when its birthday cake Friday, I make sure that I don’t have other sweets or treats, so that I can have my piece of cake.
3) Bring your own lunch and snacks. I can control myself and have a healthy lunch when I bring it, but when I go to the food court all restraints are gone. So I try and avoid it. Plus that way I save a bunch of money, because let’s face it, eating out for lunch can make a dent in your wallet quickly.
4) Eat some fruit instead of candy for a snack. PKM does not only get snacks, but we also have fresh fruit delivered to the office, so take advantage of that. Our office building has a farmer’s market during the summer months where you can buy lots of good stuff. Fresh Georgia peaches are the best!
5) And last, but not least, try and come up with an exercise plan that works for you. PKM is a flexible place to work, so most of the time you can make your own schedule. If that means that you take an extended lunch break or leave early twice a week to work-out everyone will understand.